The Week Ahead
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:28 am
The October 2009 Term officially opens today. At 10 a.m, the Court will likely release the remaining orders from the Justicesâ€™ private conference last Tuesday.
The argument schedule for this week is as follows (links direct to our sister site, SCOTUSWiki.com):
Mon., Oct. 5:
- Maryland v. Shatzer (08-680) â€” limits on police questioning after a suspect asks for a lawyer
- Mohawk Industries, Inc. v. Carpenter (08-678)) â€” right to appeal compelled disclosure of attorney-client communications
Tues., Oct. 6:
- United States v. Stevens (08-769) â€” government power to criminalize videos and other depictions of animal cruelty
- Johnson v. U.S.(08-6925) â€” battery as a â€œviolent felonyâ€ for sentence enhancement
- Bloate v. U.S. (08-728) â€” calculation of time of pre-trial stages under federal Speedy Trial Act
Wed., Oct. 7:
- Salazar v. Buono (08-472) â€” right to sue to challenge a religious symbol on public lands
- Reed Elsevier, et al., v. Muchnick, et al. (08-103) â€” federal court power to approve settlement of a copyright dispute
- Union Pacific Railroad Company v. Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen General Committee of Adjustment, Central Region (08-604) â€” scope of federal court review of arbitration in railroad and airline industries
The Justices will hold a private conference on Friday.