The Week Ahead
on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:41 pm
This is the final week of oral argument before the Supreme Court.
On Monday,Â the Court will release the orders from the Justicesâ€™ private conference last Friday.Â Following the release of any orders, the Court will hear argument:
- At 10 a.m. in Nijhawan v. Holder (08-495), on a challenge to banishment after felony conviction
- At 11 a.m. in Bobby v. Bies (08-598), on a claim of interferenceÂ by a federal appeals court with a state court over mental retardation issue in death penalty case
On Tuesday, the Court may release the opinion in one or more pending cases. Following the release of any opinions, the Court will hear argument:
- At 10 a.m. in Forest Grove School District v. T.A. (08-305), on the right to private school tuition reimbursement for a disabled student who received no prior public benefits
- At 11 a.m. in Cuomo v. Clearing House (08-453), on state power to enforce state laws against racial bias in mortgage lending
On Wednesday, the Court may release the opinion in one or more pending cases. Following the release of any opinions, the Court will hear argument:
- At 10 a.m. inÂ Northwest Austin Municipal Utility District v. Holder (08-322) , on the constitutionality of Congressâ€™ 25-year extension of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act
On Friday, the Justices will hold a private conference. To view our list of petitions to watch at Fridayâ€™s conference, click here.
The petitioner’s merits brief is due Monday inÂ Mohawk Industries, Inc. v. Carpenter (08-678). The petitioner’s merits brief is due Friday in E. K. McDaniel, Warden, et al., v. Troy Brown (08-559).