SCOTUSblog is hiring
The blog is beginning the hiring process for a new blog manager. The blog manager’s job includes, but is not limited to:
- Coordinating case coverage, online symposia and additional blog content;
- Assisting editor with editing process, particularly for blog’s style guidelines;
- Maintaining publication schedule and preparing posts for review and publication;
- Updating and maintaining case pages, statistics page, sidebar content and rest of website;
- Managing contractors, interns and vendors, including outside web developer;
- Coordinating with blog sponsor on promotional and technical needs;
- Attending to daily social media presence, including responding to feedback and questions;
- Applying, as applicable, for grants and awards;
- Assisting deputy blog manager as needed with office management, including research, special projects and other tasks for publisher Tom Goldstein;
- Producing SCOTUStalk podcast;
- Collecting ongoing term statistics and preparing interim and annual Stat Packs;
- Writing posts, with ability to take initiative on topics, and coordinating and contributing to “live blogs”;
- Contributing to broader blog strategy and the execution of new features.
The qualifications for the position include:
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong interest in learning about the U.S. Supreme Court and its workings;
- Strong interest in online media and journalism;
- Demonstrated experience with legal issues or journalism is a plus, though not a requirement, as is an interest in attending law school;
- Willingness to be a team player – all of the above responsibilities are done with other people;
- Ability to improvise – we occasionally need all hands on deck both during and outside of normal business hours.
A commitment of at least two years is required. The position will begin in mid- to late summer. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, transcript (either official or unofficial), and unedited writing sample (no more than five pages) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by April 22. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position is located in Bethesda, Maryland.