Setser v. United States
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 30, 2011
|Mar 28, 2012||6-3||Scalia||OT 2011|
Holding: A federal district court has the discretion to order a federal criminal sentence to run after a state criminal sentence that is anticipated but has not yet been imposed.
Judgment: Affirmed, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Scalia on March 28, 2012. Justice Breyer filed a dissenting opinion joined by Justices Kennedy and Ginsburg.
- Opinion analysis: Court approves anticipatory concurrent and consecutive sentences (Michael Dimino)
- Argument recap: Bureaucrats, judges, and criminal sentencing (Michael Dimino)
- Argument preview: Court to consider run-on sentences (Michael Dimino)
Briefs and Documents
Merits Briefs for the Petitioner
- Brief for Monroe Ace Setser
- Brief for the United States supporting petitioner
- Reply brief for Monroe Ace Setser
Merits Briefs for the Respondent