Mount Soledad Memorial Association v. TrunkPetition for certiorari denied on June 25, 2012
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|11-998||9th Cir.||Not Argued||Jun 25, 2012||N/A||Alito||OT 2011|
Issue: Whether the Mount Soledad Veterans Memorial – recognized by Congress as a national veterans memorial that has stood for over fifty years “as a tribute to the members of the United States Armed Forces who sacrificed their lives in the defense of the United States” – violates the Establishment Clause because it contains a cross among numerous other secular symbols of patriotism and sacrifice.
Judgment: Statement by Justice Alito respecting denial issued on June 25, 2012.
- Petitions of the day (Matthew Bush)
Briefs and Documents
- Opinion below (9th Cir.)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Amicus brief of United Retired Firefighters Association and The American Legion Department of California
- Amicus brief of Foundation for Moral Law
- Amicus brief of American Center for Law and Justice et al.
- Amicus brief of Texas et al.
- Amicus brief of David Epstein
- Amicus brief of Family Research Council et al.
- Amicus brief of Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton, USN (Ret.) et al.
- Motion of Pacific Justice Institute to withdraw motion to intervene and for leave to file amicus brief
- Amicus brief of The American Legion et al.
- Motion of Pacific Justice Institute for leave to intervene
- Opposition of respondents to motion of Pacific Justice Institute for leave to intervene
- Reply of petitioner