Mayo Collaborative Services v. Prometheus Laboratories, Inc.
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Dec 7, 2011
|Mar 20, 2012||9-0||Breyer||OT 2011|
Holding: The process patent that Prometheus Laboratories had obtained for correlations between blood test results and patient health is not eligible for a patent because it incorporates laws of nature.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Breyer on March 20, 2012.
- Court’s biotech case sends stern warning to Federal Circuit and software designers (Ronald Mann)
- Opinion recap: Freeing doctors to practice (Lyle Denniston)
- Argument recap: For want of a good hypothetical (Lyle Denniston)
- UPDATED: A recusal in Mayo case? (Lyle Denniston)
- Argument preview: Patients' reaction, patents' scope (Lyle Denniston)
- Major ruling for doctors due (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and DocumentsMerits Briefs for the Petitioners
- Brief of Mayo Laboratories and Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Reply brief for Mayo Laboratories and Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Brief for Verizon Communications, Inc., and Hewlett Packard Company
- Brief for Nine Law Professors
- Brief for the CATO Institute et al.
- Brief for Arup Laboratories, Inc., and Laboratory Conporation of America Holdings
- Brief for the of American College of Medical Genetics et al.
- Brief for the American Civil Liberties Union
- Brief for AARP and the Public Patent Foundation
- Brief for the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Brief for the United States of America
- Brief for Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. et al.
- Brief for the New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Brief for Microsoft Corporation, EMC Corporation, and Intel Corporation
- Brief for Association Internationale Pour La Protection De La Propriété Intellectuelle et al.
- Brief for SAP America, Inc., in Support of Affirming the Federal Circuit's Opinion
- Brief for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Brief for Myriad Genetics, Inc.,
- Brief for the Biotechnology Organization
- Brief for the Association of University Technology Managers
- Brief for the American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Brief for the Juhasz Law Firm
- Brief for the National Venture Capital Association
- Brief for the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Intellectual Property Amicus Brief Clinic of the UNH School of Law
- Brief for Health Law, Policy, and Ethic Scholars
- Brief for Genomic Health, Inc. et al.
- Brief for Connect and the San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Brief for Novartis Corporation
- Brief for the Intellectual Property Owners Association