Lawson v. FMR LLC
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 12, 2013
|Mar 4, 2014||6-3||Ginsburg||OT 2013|
Holding: The anti-retaliation protection that the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 provides to whistleblowers applies to employees of a public company's private contractors and subcontractors.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Ginsburg on March 4, 2014. Justice Scalia filed an opinion concurring in principal part, and concurring in the judgment, in which Justice Thomas joined. Justice Sotomayor filed a dissenting opinion in which Justices Kennedy and Alito joined.
- Opinion analysis: Coverage of SOX whistleblower protection is no longer Up in the Air (Geoffrey Rapp)
- Argument recap: Wrestling with a whistleblower law’s limits (Geoffrey Rapp)
- Argument preview: Eligibility of employees of public company contractors for Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower protection (Geoffrey Rapp)
- Court to rule on government prayer (Lyle Denniston)
- Petition of the day (Ben Cheng)