Haywood v. Drown
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|07-10374||N.Y. Court of Appeals||
Dec 3, 2008
|May 26, 2009||5-4||Stevens||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a state law barring state courts from hearing damages actions against corrections officers violates the Supremacy Clause by not permitting adjudication of claims under 42 USC 1983.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens on May 26, 2009.
- Court overrules Michigan v. Jackson (Lyle Denniston)
- Oral Argument Recap: Haywood v. Drown (Max Schwartz)
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Haywood v. Drown (Eliza Presson)
Briefs and DocumentsMerit briefs
- Brief for Petitioner Keith Haywood
- Brief for Respondent Curtis Drown, et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Keith Haywood
- Brief for Professors of Constitutional Law and Federal Jurisdiction in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Legal Services of New York, Prisoners Rights Project, the New York State Defenders Association, the Center for Community Alternatives, Prison Legal News, the Uptown Peopleâ€™s Law Center, Jerome N. Frank, the Legal Services Organization of Yale Law School, and the Civil Rights Clinic of New York University School of Law in Support of Petitioner