Chambers v. United States
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 10, 2008
|Jan 13, 2009||9-0||Breyer||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a failure to report to prison is the equivalent of escape for purposes of enhanced sentencing under the Armed Career Criminal Act.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer on January 13, 2009.
- Opinion Analyses: Harbison and Mirzayance (Kristina Moore)
- Opinion Recap: Chambers v. United States (Eliza Presson)
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Chambers v. US (Eliza Presson)
- Court to hear anti-dumping, sentencing cases (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and DocumentsMerits briefs
- Brief for Petitioner Deondery Chambers
- Brief for Respondent United States
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Deondery Chambers
- United States Sentencing Commission Report on Federal Escape Offense in Fiscal Years 2006 and 2007 (lodged by counsel for the United States