|Next Page »|
|06.24.16||Once more unto the Relist Watch|
|05.27.16||Relist Watch Redux|
|05.20.16||Relist Watch Returns|
Time of Senate inaction since the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court
Merits Case Pages and Archives
The Court is now in its summer recess. Its next Conference is scheduled for Monday, September 26.
- Bank of America Corp. v. City of Miami
(1) Whether, by limiting suit to “aggrieved person[s],” Congress required that a Fair Housing Act plaintiff plead more than just Article III injury-in-fact; and (2) whether proximate cause requires more than just the possibility that a defendant could have foreseen that the remote plaintiff might ultimately lose money through some theoretical chain of contingencies.
- Moore v. Texas
(1) Whether it violates the Eighth Amendment and this Court’s decisions in Hall v. Florida and Atkins v. Virginia to prohibit the use of current medical standards on intellectual disability, and require the use of outdated medical standards, in determining whether an individual may be executed.
- Pena-Rodriguez v. Colorado
Whether a no-impeachment rule constitutionally may bar evidence of racial bias offered to prove a violation of the Sixth Amendment right to an impartial jury.
- Murr v. Wisconsin
Whether, in a regulatory taking case, the “parcel as a whole” concept as described in Penn Central Transportation Company v. City of New York, establishes a rule that two legally distinct but commonly owned contiguous parcels must be combined for takings analysis purposes.
- Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Inc. v. Pauley
Whether the exclusion of churches from an otherwise neutral and secular aid program violates the Free Exercise and Equal Protection Clauses when the state has no valid Establishment Clause concern.
- Bank of America Corp. v. City of Miami
- BeavEx Inc. v. Costello Whether the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act preempts generally-applicable state laws that force motor carriers to treat and pay all drivers as “employees” rather than as independent contractors.
- Cyan, Inc. v. Beaver County Employees Retirement Fund Whether state courts lack subject matter jurisdiction over covered class actions that allege only Securities Act of 1933 claims.
- Nelson v. Colorado Whether Colorado’s requirement that defendants must prove their innocence by clear and convincing evidence to get their money back, after reversal of conviction of a crime entailing various monetary penalties, is consistent with due process.
Conference of September 26, 2016
Recent Special Features
- Symposium before the oral arguments in Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Inc. v. Pauley
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in McDonnell v. United States
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in United States v. Texas
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Fisher II
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Zubik v Burwell
- The potential nominees to succeed Justice Scalia
- Tributes to Justice Antonin Scalia
- Justice Scalia passes away
Cases argued 69 Cases decided 69 Summary reversals 11 Merits Cases Set for Argument 69
Videos see all
On August 4, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg discusses Justice Antonin Scalia and the past Term in an interview with Neil Siegel before Duke Law’s D.C. Summer Institute on Law & Policy at the Washington office of Jones Day.
Awarded the Peabody Award for excellence in electronic media.
Sigma Delta Chi
Awarded the Sigma Delta Chi deadline reporting award for online coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
National Press Club Award
Awarded the National Press Club's Breaking News Award for coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
Silver Gavel Award
Awarded the Silver Gavel Award by the American Bar Association for fostering the American public’s understanding of the law and the legal system.
American Gavel Award
Awarded the American Gavel Award for Distinguished Reporting About the Judiciary to recognize the highest standards of reporting about courts and the justice system.
Awarded the Webby Award for excellence on the internet.
Email Digest Sign-Up