Petition of the day
The petition of the day is:
Shelby County v. Holder (Granted )
Note: Goldstein & Russell, P.C., whose attorneys work for or contribute to this blog in various capacities, is among the counsel to Representative F. James Sensenbrenner et al., who filed an amicus brief in support of the respondent in this case.
Issue(s): Whether Congress’ decision in 2006 to reauthorize Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act under the pre-existing coverage formula of Section 4(b) of the Voting Rights Act exceeded its authority under the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments and thus violated the Tenth Amendment and Article IV of the United States Constitution.
Certiorari stage documents:
- Opinion below (D.C. Cir.)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Brief in opposition for respondents-intervenors
- Amicus brief of Former Department of Justice Officials
- Amicus brief of Cato Institute
- Amicus brief of Alaska
- Amicus brief of Arizona et al.
- Amicus brief of Mountain States Legal Foundation
- Amicus brief of National Black Chamber of Commerce
- Amicus brief of Pacific Legal Foundation
- Reply of petitioner
Recommended Citation: Ben Cheng, Petition of the day, SCOTUSblog (Oct. 15, 2012, 11:03 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/10/petition-of-the-day-353/