Petitions to watch: Conference of 1/20/2012
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30 am
At its January 20, 2012 Conference, the Court will consider such issues as whether a court’s erroneous replacement of a criminal defendant’s appointed counsel can be a structural error, whether a communication from a debt collector to a debtor’s attorney is actionable under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, whether a federal habeas court can bar re-prosecution of an inmate based on an unexhausted claim of prosecutorial misconduct, and preemption under Section 2 of the Federal Arbitration Act. This edition of “Petitions to watch” features petitions raising issues that Tom has determined to have a reasonable chance of being granted, although we post them here without consideration of whether they present appropriate vehicles in which to decide those issues. A full list of our “Petitions to watch” for the January 20 Conference is here. A complete list also follows the jump.
- Bobby v. D’Ambrosio
- Alabama v. Lane
- Ryan v. United States
- Law Offices of Mitchell N. Kay, P.C. v. Lesher
- Fein, Such, Kahn and Shepard, PC v. Allen
- The Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela v. DRFP L.L.C.
- City of St. Louis, Missouri v. Neighborhood Enterprises
- Marmet Health Care Center v. Brown
- Clarksburg Nursing Home & Rehabilitation Center, LLC v. Marchio
- Ryburn v. Huff
- Wetzel v. Lambert
- Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. v First Quality Baby Products
- Farmers Insurance Company of Oregon v. Strawn