Vermont v. Brillon
Issue: Whether delays caused by a public defender can deprive a criminal defendant of his right to a speedy trial.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on March 9, 2009.
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for the National Governors Association, the Council of State Governments, the National Conference of State Legislatures, the National Association of Counties, the International City/County Management Association, and the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Utah, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of the Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, et. al., in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the United States of America in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of Vermont, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in Support of Respondent