United States v. Navajo Nation
Issue: Whether the Courtâ€™s prior decision in United States v. Navajo Nation (2003) foreclosed a finding that the government breached fiduciary duties in connection with Indian coal lease amendments.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia on April 6, 2009.
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for the Peabody Western Coal Company and the Southern California Edison Company in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Law Professors in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Former Secretaries of the Interior Cecil D. Andrus, Bruce Babbitt, Manuel Lujan, Jr., and Stewart L. Udallin Support of Respondent
- Brief for the States of New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the National Congress of American Indians, The Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes of The Fort Peck Reservation, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, The Forest County Potawatomi Community, Pueblo of Isleta, Nez Perce Tribe, The Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of The Flathead Reservation and The Confederated Tribes of The Umatilla Indian Reservation in Support of Respondent