Rivera v. Illinois
Issue: Whether the erroneous denial of a criminal defendantâ€™s preemptory challenge that resulted in the challenged juror being seated requires automatic reversal of a conviction.
Judgment: Affirmed, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on March 31, 2009.
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Wayne County, Michigan in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the States of Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the United States of America in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the National District Attorneys Association in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation in Support of Respondent