Ransom v. FIA Card Services
Holding: A debtor in bankruptcy who does not make loan or lease payments may not take the deduction that is otherwise available for ownership of an auto.
Plain English Holding: A debtor in bankruptcy who does not make loan or lease payments may not take the deduction that is otherwise available for ownership of an auto.
Judgment: Affirmed, on January 11, 2011. Justice Kagan authored the opinion, her first on the Court, with Justice Scalia dissenting, for an 8-1 vote
- January at the Court: In Plain English (Lisa Tucker, January 21, 2011)
- Opinion analysis: Car ownership deduction limited to debtors making car payments (M. Jonathan Hayes, January 12, 2011)
- Court: Medical residents not students (Lyle Denniston, January 11, 2011)
- Argument recap: Can debtor claim car ownership allowance of paid-off vehicle? (Kevin Russell, October 5, 2010)
- Argument preview: Court to weigh in on how to calculate â€œprojected disposable incomeâ€ during bankruptcy (Anna Christensen, October 1, 2010)
Briefs and Documents
- Opinion below (9th Circuit)
- Petition for certiorari (unavailable)
- Brief in opposition (unavailable)