The week ahead
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:00 am
The Court will issue orders this morning at ten o’clock. Â Opinions are expected on both Tuesday and Wednesday, and we will “live” blog their release on both days.
This week the Court will hear oral argument in the following cases:
Monday, March 29:
- Renico v. Lett (09-338) â€” habeas claims on double jeopardy grounds after a mistrial
- Morrison v. National Australia Bank (08-1191) â€” lawsuits for market fraud by foreign investors
Tuesday, March 30:
- Dillon v. United States (09-6338) â€” authority of federal judges, in setting a new prison sentence, to go below Guideline range
- Barber v. Thomas (09-5201) â€” definition of federal law on “good time credits” for federal inmates
Wednesday, March 31:
- Carachuri-Rosendo v. Holder (09-60) â€” challenge to deportation of resident alien for multiple convictions for drug possession, if there is no repeat offender charge
- Robertson v. U.S. ex rel. Watson (08-6261) â€” right of private individual to pursue criminal prosecution for contempt of D.C. local court
The justices will hold a private conference Friday; we will post our list of Petitions to Watch for that conference soon.
Finally, the respondents’ brief is due today inÂ Monsanto Company v. Geertson Seed Farms (09-475). Â To our knowledge, no other merits briefs are due this week.