The week ahead
on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:15 am
Orders are expected this morning at 10.Â Opinions are expected tomorrow but not on Wednesday.Â The Court will also hear oral argument this week in the following cases:
Monday, March 22:
- Hamilton, Chapter 13 Trustee v. Lanning (08-998) â€” the formula for how much a debtor has available to pay creditors who hold no security [Disclosure: Akin Gump and Howe & Russell represent the respondent.]
- Levin, Tax Commissioner of Ohio v. Commerce Energy, Inc. (09-223) â€” lawsuits in federal court that could intrude on state tax systems
Tuesday, March 23:
- New Process Steel v. National Labor Relations Board (08-1457) â€” the National Relations Board quorum
Wednesday, March 24:
- Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha v. Regal-Beloit Corporation; Union Pacific Railroad Company v. Regal-Beloit Corporation (08-1553; 08-1554) â€” application of federal law to terms of shipment agreements between cargo carriers and their customers
- Magwood v. Culliver (09-198) â€” successive habeas claims
The Justices meet this Friday for a private conference to consider petitions for certiorari and motions in pending cases.
Finally, reply briefs are due Thursday in Dolan v. United States (09-367); they are due Friday in Hardt v. Reliance Standard Life Insurance Co. (09-448), Rent-A-Center v. Jackson (09-497), Doe v. Reed (09-559), and Krupski v. Costa Crociere (09-337).