Summers v. Earth Island Institute
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Oct 8, 2008
|Mar 3, 2009||5-4||Scalia||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a group of environmental organizations had established standing to contest a series of Forest Service regulations, and whether the challenge was ripe for review under the APA.
Judgment: Affirmed in part and reversed in part, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia on March 3, 2009.
- Court curbs right to sue over public land policy (Lyle Denniston)
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Summers v. Earth Island Institute (Eliza Presson)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Priscilla Summers et al.
- Brief for Respondent Earth Island Institute et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Priscilla Summers et al.
- Brief for the American Forest & Paper Association, the National Association of Home Builders, the American Farm Bureau Federation, Croplife America, the American Forest Resource Council, the California Forestry Association, and Minnesota Forest Industries in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Douglas Timber Operators, the Montana Logging Association, and the Montana Wood Products Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Law Professors in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the State of California Ex Rel. Edmund G. Brown Jr., Attorney General in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Pacific Legal Foundation in Support of Neither Party