Shinseki v. Sanders
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Dec 8, 2008
|Apr 21, 2009||6-3||Breyer||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether courts must presume the failure of the Department of Veteransâ€™ Affairs to give notice to benefitsâ€™ claimants to be prejudicial.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded; vacated and remanded, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer on April 21, 2009.
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner James R. Peake, Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- Brief for Respondent Woodrow F. Sanders
- Brief for Respondent Patricia Simmons
- Reply Brief for Petitioner James R. Peake, Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- Brief for the Federal Circuit Bar Association in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Washington Legal Foundation, the Allied Educational Foundation, the American Military Retirees Association, the National Veterans Organization of America, the National Defense Committee, Rear Admiral (Ret.) James J. Carey, and the Veterans United for Truth in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the American Legion, Military Order of the Purple Heart, and the National Veterans Legal Services Program in Support of Respondent