Pacific Operators Offshore, LLP v. Valladolid
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Oct 11, 2011
|Jan 11, 2012||9-0||Thomas||OT 2011|
Holding: The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act extends coverage for injury occurring as the result of operations conducted on the outer continental shelf to an employee who can establish a substantial nexus between his injury and his employer’s extractive operations on the shelf.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Affirmed and remanded for further consideration by the Benefits Review Board, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Thomas on January 11, 2012. Justice Scalia filed an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, joined by Justice Alito.
- (Updated) Opinion analysis: The limited virtues of judicial modesty (Richard A. Epstein)
- Argument recap: What causal nexus will the Court require? (Richard A. Epstein)
- Argument preview: Pacific Operators Offshore LLP v. Valladolid (Richard A. Epstein)
- Petition of the day (Conor McEvily)
Briefs and Documents
Merit Briefs for the Petitioners
- Opinion below (9th Circuit)