Ministry of Defense and Support for the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran v. Elahi
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Jan 12, 2009
|Apr 21, 2009||6-3||Breyer||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a disputed judgment against a military contractor at issue between Iran and the United States before the Claims Tribunal in The Hague is subject to attachment under the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act.
Judgment: Reversed, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer on April 21, 2009.
- Limits on warrantless car searches, compensation to terrorism victims, veterans benefit disputes (Kristina Moore)
- A new vote for property rights? (Lyle Denniston)
- More on the SG's brief in Ministry of Defense v. Elahi (Ben Winograd)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Ministry of Defense and Supoort for the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Brief for Respondent Dariush Elahi
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Ministry of Defense and Support for the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran