Douglas v. Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital
Consolidated into: Douglas v. Independent Living Center of Southern California
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|10-283||9th Cir., unpublished||
Oct 3, 2011
|Feb 22, 2012||5-4||Breyer||OT 2011|
Holding: The parties will argue before the Ninth Circuit in the first instance whether the respondents may maintain Supremacy Clause actions in light of the approval by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services of the challenged California statutes that reduce the amount of Medicaid reimbursement.
Judgment: Vacated and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Breyer on February 22, 2012. Chief Justice Roberts filed a dissenting opinion, joined by Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito.
- Opinion analysis: A right to sue under Medicaid -- maybe
- Argument recap: To narrow Ex parte Young, or not
- Argument preview: Challenging Medicaid cuts
- Petition of the day
Briefs and Documents
Merits Briefs for the Petitioner
- Brief for petitioner Toby Douglas
- Reply brief for petitioner Toby Douglas
- Toby Douglas supplemental brief letter
- Toby Douglas supplemental Exhibit B
- Toby Douglas supplemental Exhibit B1
Amicus Briefs In Support of the Petitioner
- Brief for the United States
- Brief for National Governors Association et al.
- Brief for Michigan and 30 Other States
Merits Briefs for the Respondent
Amicus Briefs in Support of the Respondent
- Brief for Members of Congress
- Brief for the National Association of Chain Drug Stores et al.
- Brief for the Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America
- Brief for the American Medical Association et al.
- Brief for the American Health Care Association et al.
- Brief for the American Civil Liberties Union et al.
- Brief for AARP et al.
- Brief for Former HSS Officials