Graham County Soil & Water Conservation District v. United States ex rel. Wilson
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 30, 2009
|Mar 30, 2010||7-2||Stevens||OT 2009|
Holding: The False Claims Act allows private citizens who discover that someone is defrauding the federal government to file suit against the perpetrator (on behalf of the government) and receive a portion of the recovery. In this case, the Court ruled that the law does not apply if the fraud has already been discovered and made public by a government agency report or audit.
- Textual analysis in a short-lived case (Anna Christensen)
- Analysis: Whistle-blower defeat short-lived? (Lyle Denniston)
- Up in the Air in Graham County Soil (Anna Christensen)
- Qui Tam Actions and Public Disclosure (Anna Christensen)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Graham County Soil & Water Conservation District, et al.
- Brief for Respondent U.S. ex rel. Karen T. Wilson
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Graham County Soil & Water Conservation District, et al.
- Brief for the States of Pennsylvania, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for The National League of Cities, U.S. Conference of Mayors, Government Finance Officers Association, the National Association of Counties, the International City/County Management Association, and the International Municipal Lawyers Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America, The American Health Care Association, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, and the American Hospital Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Washington Legal Foundation and Allied Educational Foundation in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the American Center for Law and Justice in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the United States of America in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund in Support of Respondent
- Opinion below (4th Circuit)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Brief amicus curiae of National League of Cities
- Brief amici curiae of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America et al. (in support of petitioner)
- Brief amici curiae of Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America et al.
- Brief amici curiae of Washington Legal Foundation et al.
- Brief amici curiae of Pennsylvania et al.
- Brief amicus curiae of the United States
- Petitioner's reply