Dean v. United States
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Mar 4, 2009
|Apr 29, 2009||7-2||Roberts||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether, under 18 U.S.C.924(c)(1)(A)(iii), the mere discharge of a firearm during a crime of violence or drug trafficking, even if accidental, is subject to a ten-year sentencing enhancement.
Judgment: Affirmed, 7-2, in an opinion by Chief Justice John Roberts on April 29, 2009.
- Oral Argument Recap: Dean v. US
- Argument Preview: Dean v. US
- Court to rule on campaign films, judge recusal
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Christopher Michael Dean
- Brief for Respondent United States of America
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Christopher Michael Dean
- Brief for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National Association of Federal Defenders, and Families Against Mandatory Minimums in Support of Petitioner