Bobby v. Bies
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Apr 27, 2009
|Jun 1, 2009||9-0||Ginsburg||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether the holding of a state post-conviction hearing to determine the mental capacity of a capital defendant whose death sentence was affirmed before Atkins v. Virginia (2002), which barred the execution of mentally retarded defendants, violates the Double Jeopardy clause.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on June 1, 2009.
- Opinion Recap: Bobby v. Bies (Kristina Moore)
- Argument Recap: Bobby v. Bies (Kristina Moore)
- Argument Preview: Bobby v. Bies (Kristina Moore)
Briefs and DocumentsMerit briefs
- Brief for Petitioner David Bobby
- Brief for Respondent Michael Bies
- Reply Brief for Petitioner David Bobby