Bartlett v. Strickland
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|07-689||Supreme Court of North Carolina||
Oct 14, 2008
|Mar 9, 2009||5-4||Kennedy||OT 2008|
Disclosure: Akin Gump filed the amicus brief of the NAACP in support of the petitioner.
Issue: Whether a racial minority group that constitutes less than 50% of a proposed districtâ€™s population can state a vote dilution claim under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.
Judgment: Affirmed, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Anthony Kennedy on March 9, 2009.
- Analysis: Settling an issue of race and politics
- Analysis: Line-drawing and drawing lines in politics
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Bartlett v. Strickland
- Court grants review of indecency law, 7 other cases
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Gary Bartlett, et al.
- Brief for Respondent Dwight Strickland, et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Gary Bartlett, et al.
- Brief for the League of Women Voters of the United States in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the Naacp Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc., DEMOS: A Network for Ideas and Action, and the North American South Asian Bar Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Sanford D. Bishop Jr., Corrine Brown, G.K. Butterfield, AndrÃ© Carson, Donna M. Christensen, Yvette D. Clarke, William Lacy Clay Jr., Emanuel Cleaver, James E. Clyburn, John Conyers Jr., Elijah E. Cummings, Artur Davis, Danny K. Davis, Keith Ellison, Chaka Fattah, Al Green, Alcee L. Hastings, Jesse L. Jackson Jr., Sheila Jackson Lee, William J. Jefferson, Eddie Bernice Johnson, Henry Johnson, Stephanie Tubbs Jones, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, Barbara Lee, John Lewis, Kendrick Meek, Gregory W. Meeks, Gwen Moore, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Donald M. Payne, Charles B. Rangel, Laura Richardson, Bobby L. Rush, David Scott, Robert C. Scott, Bennie G. Thompson, Edolphus Towns, Maxine Waters, Diane E. Watson, and Melvin L. Watt in Support of Petitioner (revised)
- Brief for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Asian American Justice Center in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Campaign Legal Center in Support of Petitioner
- Motion for Leave to File Amicus Curiae Brief and Brief for the National Association for The Advancement of Colored People, Cindy Moore, Milford Farrior, Mary Jordan, and the American Civil Liberties Union Out Of Time in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Illinois, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Ohio in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Florida House of Representatives in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Pacific Legal Foundation, Center for Equal Opportunity, Hans A. Von Spakovsky, Project 21, Abigail Thernstrom, and Karl S. Bowers, Jr., in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the American Legislative Exchange Council and the Lawyers Democracy Fund in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Nathaniel Persily, Bernard Grofman, Bruce Cain, Theodore Arrington, and Lisa Handley in Support of Neither Party
- Brief for the United States in Support of the Affirmance
- Opinion below (Supreme Court of North Carolina)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Brief of the Honorable Vernon Sykes and Honorable Roger Corbin in support of Petitioner
- Brief of the League of Women Voters of the United States in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, and Ohio in support of Petitioner
- Brief of the NAACP, Cindy Moore, Milford Farrior, and Mary Jordan in support of Petitioner
- Petitioner's reply