|07.24.12||Response: Plain text, stare decisis, and déjà vu all over again|
|07.13.12||Online Kiobel symposium: The Alien Tort Statute and the foreign relations fallacy|
SCOTUS for law students: Financing judicial elections – Stephen Wermiel
February arguments, day by day – Lyle Denniston
Same-sex marriage cases ready, scheduled (UPDATED) – Lyle Denniston
Merits Case Pages and Archives
The Justices will meet for their next Conference on January 9.
The January sitting begins on January 12.
- King v. Burwell
Availability of federal tax subsidies to individuals who purchase health insurance on an exchange operated by the federal government
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. The Inclusive Communities Project, Inc.
Whether disparate-impact claims are cognizable under the Fair Housing Act
- Alabama Democratic Conference v. Alabama
Validity of Alabama redistricting plan under the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Elonis v. United States
Standard to determine a "true threat" under the First Amendment
- Zivotofsky v. Kerry
Federal statute regarding place of birth on passport for U.S. citizens born in Jerusalem
- Heien v. North Carolina
Reasonable mistake of law provides reasonable suspicion for Fourth Amendment purposes.
- King v. Burwell
Upcoming Oral Arguments
- 1/12Oneok Inc. v. Learjet, Inc. Right of retail purchasers of natural gas to file antitrust lawsuits in state court to challenge prices set in the federally regulated wholesale market.
- 1/12Reed v. Town of Gilbert, Arizona Constitutionality of a local ordinance restricting outdoor signs placed by churches.
- 1/13Mach Mining v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Enforceability of the EEOC’s duty to conciliate discrimination claims before filing suit
- 1/13Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc. v. United States ex rel. Carter Determining when a private lawsuit is barred under the False Claims Act because a related lawsuit had been filed earlier.
- 1/14Mellouli v. Holder Proof needed to support deportation of a foreign national who has been convicted in state court of possessing drug paraphernalia.
- 1/14Wellness International Network, Limited v. Sharif Loss of bankruptcy court jurisdiction because the case involves an issue of state law on ownership of property; also, debtor’s right to waive Article III jurisdictional bar.
Major Pending Petitions
- Integrity Staffing Solutions, Inc. v. Busk No overtime pay for warehouse workers for security screenings.
- Warger v. Shauers When seeking a new trial, affidavit re alleged juror dishonesty at voir dire is not admissible.
- Heien v. North Carolina Reasonable mistake of law provides reasonable suspicion for Fourth Amendment purposes.
- Dart Cherokee Basin Operating Company, LLC v. Owens Notice of removal does not require evidence that the amount in controversy exceeds the jurisdictional threshold.
Recent Special Features
Cases argued 31 Cases decided 4 Summary reversals 4 Merits Cases Set for Argument 62
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa467111314161718192021222324262728293031
Videos see all
“I think always the humor was a means to an end. And the end is, to help folks who don’t live in this world understand why it matters.” Dahlia Lithwick covers the Supreme Court and writes about law more broadly for Slate.com. In this six-part interview, Ms. Lithwick discusses law school, practicing law, and how […]
Awarded the Peabody Award for excellence in electronic media.
Sigma Delta Chi
Awarded the Sigma Delta Chi deadline reporting award for online coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
National Press Club Award
Awarded the National Press Club's Breaking News Award for coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
Silver Gavel Award
Awarded the Silver Gavel Award by the American Bar Association for fostering the American public’s understanding of the law and the legal system.
American Gavel Award
Awarded the American Gavel Award for Distinguished Reporting About the Judiciary to recognize the highest standards of reporting about courts and the justice system.
Awarded the Webby Award for excellence on the internet.
Email Digest Sign-Up