Petition of the day
The petition of the day is:
Note: Goldstein & Russell represent The NAACP Legal Defense Fund et al. as amici curiae in support of respondent.
Issue(s): Whether the ministerial exception, which prohibits most employment-related lawsuits against religious organizations by employees performing religious functions, applies to a teacher at a religious elementary school who teaches the full secular curriculum, but also teaches daily religion classes, is a commissioned minister, and regularly leads students in prayer and worship.
Certiorari stage documents:
- Opinion below (6th Circuit)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition of the EEOC
- Brief in opposition of respondent Cheryl Perich
- Amicus brief of religious organizations
- Amicus brief of Christian Reformed Church in North America et al.
- Amicus brief of International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention et al.
- Petitioner's reply brief
Recommended Citation: Kiran Bhat, Petition of the day, SCOTUSblog (Nov. 29, 2010, 9:44 AM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/11/petition-of-the-day-50/