Time of Senate inaction since the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court
Merits Case Pages and Archives
The court issued orders from its October 14 conference on Monday. The court did not grant any new cases. The November sitting will begin on Monday, October 31; the calendar for that sitting is available on the court's website.
- Bank of America Corp. v. City of Miami
(1) Whether, by limiting suit to “aggrieved person[s],” Congress required that a Fair Housing Act plaintiff plead more than just Article III injury-in-fact; and (2) whether proximate cause requires more than just the possibility that a defendant could have foreseen that the remote plaintiff might ultimately lose money through some theoretical chain of contingencies.
- Moore v. Texas
(1) Whether it violates the Eighth Amendment and this Court’s decisions in Hall v. Florida and Atkins v. Virginia to prohibit the use of current medical standards on intellectual disability, and require the use of outdated medical standards, in determining whether an individual may be executed.
- Pena-Rodriguez v. Colorado
Whether a no-impeachment rule constitutionally may bar evidence of racial bias offered to prove a violation of the Sixth Amendment right to an impartial jury.
- Murr v. Wisconsin
Whether, in a regulatory taking case, the “parcel as a whole” concept as described in Penn Central Transportation Company v. City of New York, establishes a rule that two legally distinct but commonly owned contiguous parcels must be combined for takings analysis purposes.
- Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Inc. v. Pauley
Whether the exclusion of churches from an otherwise neutral and secular aid program violates the Free Exercise and Equal Protection Clauses when the state has no valid Establishment Clause concern.
- Bank of America Corp. v. City of Miami
- Kuenzel v. Alabama Whether it is fundamentally unfair and violates the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to require a capital habeas petitioner to bring a successive state habeas petition within six months of the discovery of previously unproduced evidence pursuant to Alabama Rule of Criminal Procedure 32.2(c), when Alabama Code § 6-5-440 would have simultaneously barred such a suit.
- Melhorn v. Baltimore Washington Conference of United Methodist Church Whether the ministerial exception of the First Amendment absolutely bars breach of contract and tortious conduct lawsuits in situations of illegal conduct or harm to third parties.
Conference of October 28, 2016
Recent Special Features
- The Court after Scalia
- Symposium before the oral arguments in Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Inc. v. Pauley
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in McDonnell v. United States
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in United States v. Texas
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Fisher II
- Symposium on the Court's ruling in Zubik v Burwell
- The potential nominees to succeed Justice Scalia
- Tributes to Justice Antonin Scalia
- Justice Scalia passes away
Cases argued 8 Cases decided 0 Summary reversals 0 Merits Cases Set for Argument 40
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa1268912131516181920212223242526272930
Videos see all
On October 6, Justice Elena Kagan spoke at the dedication of Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University.
Awarded the Peabody Award for excellence in electronic media.
Sigma Delta Chi
Awarded the Sigma Delta Chi deadline reporting award for online coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
National Press Club Award
Awarded the National Press Club's Breaking News Award for coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
Silver Gavel Award
Awarded the Silver Gavel Award by the American Bar Association for fostering the American public’s understanding of the law and the legal system.
American Gavel Award
Awarded the American Gavel Award for Distinguished Reporting About the Judiciary to recognize the highest standards of reporting about courts and the justice system.
Awarded the Webby Award for excellence on the internet.
Email Digest Sign-Up