Merits Case Pages and Archives
On Monday the Court was closed in observance of the federal holiday.
On Tuesday the Court issued additional orders from its January 16 Conference. No new cases were granted and there were no new CVSG's. Last Friday the Court released an initial set of orders from the January 16 Conference granting all four same-sex marriage petitions and four other petitions. Lyle's post on those orders is here. The Court also issued two opinions on Tuesday, Holt v. Hobbs and Teva Pharmaceuticals USA v. Sandoz. On Wednesday the Court issued three opinions: Gelboim v. Bank of America Corp., Hana Financial, Inc. v. Hana Bank, and Department of Homeland Security v. MacLean.
This is the second week of the January sitting; the Justices are scheduled to hear oral arguments in four cases. On Friday the Justices will meet for their January 23 Conference.
- King v. Burwell
Availability of federal tax subsidies to individuals who purchase health insurance on an exchange operated by the federal government
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. The Inclusive Communities Project, Inc.
Whether disparate-impact claims are cognizable under the Fair Housing Act
- Alabama Democratic Conference v. Alabama
Validity of Alabama redistricting plan under the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Elonis v. United States
Standard to determine a "true threat" under the First Amendment
- Zivotofsky v. Kerry
Federal statute regarding place of birth on passport for U.S. citizens born in Jerusalem
- Heien v. North Carolina
Reasonable mistake of law provides reasonable suspicion for Fourth Amendment purposes.
- King v. Burwell
Upcoming Oral Arguments
- 2/23Coleman-Bey v. Tollefson Definition of “three strikes” provision in federal Prison Litigation Reform Act.
- 2/23Kerry v. Din Right of U.S. citizen to sue consular officer over denial of a visa to a spouse.
- 2/24Henderson v. United States Federal court authority to require the government to transfer guns seized from an individual without a legal right to have a gun.
- 2/24Tibble v. Edison International Time limit to file a lawsuit against an employee benefit plan manager over investment decisions on plan assets.
- 2/25Baker Botts, L.L.P. v. ASARCO, L.L.C. Bankruptcy judge’s authority to award attorneys’ fees for defending an application for an award of such fees.
- 2/25Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores, Inc. Scope of employer’s duty under Title VII not to discriminate against a job applicant based on religion.
Conference of January 23
Major Pending Petitions
- Holt v. Hobbs Arkansas ban on half-inch beards for Muslim prisoners violates RLUIPA.
- Department of Homeland Security v. MacLean Threshold of eligibility under the Whistleblower Protection Act
- Gelboim v. Bank of America Corporation Dismissal of one-claim action in multidistrict litigation triggers a right to appeal.
- Hana Financial, Inc. v. Hana Bank Trademark tacking is a fact-sensitive matter reserved for juries.
Recent Special Features
Cases argued 39 Cases decided 10 Summary reversals 5 Merits Cases Set for Argument 66
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa1234567810111517182224252728293031
Videos see all
“I think always the humor was a means to an end. And the end is, to help folks who don’t live in this world understand why it matters.” Dahlia Lithwick covers the Supreme Court and writes about law more broadly for Slate.com. In this six-part interview, Ms. Lithwick discusses law school, practicing law, and how […]
Awarded the Peabody Award for excellence in electronic media.
Sigma Delta Chi
Awarded the Sigma Delta Chi deadline reporting award for online coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
National Press Club Award
Awarded the National Press Club's Breaking News Award for coverage of the Affordable Care Act decision.
Silver Gavel Award
Awarded the Silver Gavel Award by the American Bar Association for fostering the American public’s understanding of the law and the legal system.
American Gavel Award
Awarded the American Gavel Award for Distinguished Reporting About the Judiciary to recognize the highest standards of reporting about courts and the justice system.
Awarded the Webby Award for excellence on the internet.
Email Digest Sign-Up