Petition of the day
The petition of the day is:
Hollingsworth v. Perry (Granted )
Note: Tejinder Singh of the law firm Goldstein & Russell, P.C., whose attorneys work for or contribute to this blog in various capacities, was among the counsel on an amicus brief filed by international human rights advocates in support of the respondents in this case.
Issue(s): (1) Whether the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment prohibits the State of California from defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman; and (2) whether petitioners have standing under Article III, § 2 of the Constitution in this case.
Certiorari stage documents:
- Opinion below (9th Cir.)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief of respondents Kristin M. Perry et al. in opposition
- Brief of respondent City and County of San Francisco in opposition
- Amicus brief of Judge Georg Ress and The Marriage Law Foundation
- Amicus brief of William N. Eskridge, Jr. et al.
- Amicus brief of Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence
- Amicus brief of American Civil Rights Union (forthcoming)
- Amicus brief of Foundation for Moral Law
- Amicus brief of Indiana et al.
- Amicus brief of Eagle Forum Education & Legal Defense Fund, Inc.
- Amicus brief of National Association of Evangelicals et al.
- Amicus brief of Public Advocate of the United States et al.
- Amicus brief of Judicial Watch, Inc. et al
- Amicus brief of Declaration Alliance & United States Justice Foundation
- Reply of petitioner
Recommended Citation: Ben Cheng, Petition of the day, SCOTUSblog (Sep. 27, 2012, 11:55 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/09/petition-of-the-day-344/