Petition of the day
The petition of the day is:
Mount Holly v. Mt. Holly Gardens Citizens in Action, Inc.
Issue(s): (1) Whether disparate impact claims are cognizable under the Fair Housing Act; and (2) whether, if such claims are cognizable, they should be analyzed under the burden shifting approach used by three circuits, under the balancing test used by four circuits, under a hybrid approach used by two circuits, or by some other test: (a) what the correct test is for determining whether a prima facie case of disparate impact has been made; (b) how the statistical evidence should be evaluated; and (c) what the correct test is for determining when a defendant has satisfied its burden in a disparate impact case.
Certiorari stage documents:
- Opinion below (3d Cir.)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Amicus brief of Pacific Legal Foundation, et al.
- Amicus brief of American Financial Services Association, et al.
- Amicus brief of Eagle Forum Education & Legal Defense Fund, Inc.
- Amicus brief of National Leased Housing Association, et al.
- Invited: October 29, 2012
Recommended Citation: Ben Cheng, Petition of the day, SCOTUSblog (Jul. 13, 2012, 11:25 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/07/petition-of-the-day-313/