Petition of the day
The petition of the day is:
Issue(s): (1) Whether, in a misrepresentation case under Securities and Exchange Commission Rule 10b-5, the district court must require proof of materiality before certifying a plaintiff class based on the fraud-on-the-market theory; and (2) whether, in such a case, the district court must allow the defendant to present evidence rebutting the applicability of the fraud-on-the-market theory before certifying a plaintiff class based on that theory.
Certiorari stage documents:
- Opinion below (9th Cir.)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Amicus brief of Former SEC Commissioners et al.
- Amicus brief of Washington Legal Foundation and Allied Educational Foundation
- Amicus brief of Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America and Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Reply of petitioners
- Letter and attachment of respondent
- Letter of petitioners in response
Recommended Citation: Matthew Bush, Petition of the day, SCOTUSblog (Apr. 12, 2012, 10:50 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/04/petition-of-the-day-272/