Super Stat Pack OT09 available
Here (as one file) are all of our statistics, charts, and lists from the just-concluded October Term 2009. That includes a list of all OT09 cases with questions presented and results, and a visual representation of voting lineups for all cases decided 5-4. Our summary memo compiles the most interesting trends and data from this Term.
In addition to our regular offerings, we have added new charts: one breaking down 5-4 cases, a graph showing the pace of opinion releases, cross-Term analysis of individual Justices' dissents and concurrences, a breakdown of cases by their subject-matter and vote split, and charts reflecting the success rate of the Solicitor General's merits cases and invited recommendations at the cert. stage.
We also have a special mini-Stat Pack on Justice Stevens, in honor of his retirement.
All of the cross-Term statistics "“ which use SCOTUSblog Stat Packs going back to OT95 "“ and the case list are the work of the tremendous Kedar Bhatia of the Daily Writ.
We welcome any citation, republishing, or repurposing of these facts and figures. We only ask that you acknowledge SCOTUSblog as the source. You can download any individual data set below the jump.
- The Court's Workload
- Five-to-Four Cases
- Decisions by Vote Split
- Opinion Authors by Sitting
- Frequency in the Majority
- Opinion Author Versus Vote Split and Separate Opinion Authorship
- Justice Agreement (separate charts for unanimous and non-unanimous cases)
- Circuit Scorecard (circuits of origin, affirmance v. reversal rates)
- Grants by Conference
Additional charts, including cross-Term data:
- Pace of Opinions Released
- Opinions Per Term and Summary Reversals Per Term
- Concurring and Dissenting Opinions Authored
- Frequency of Lone Dissenters by Justice
- Justice Kennedy's Votes in Ideologically Split 5-4 Decisions
- Composition of 5-4 Majorities
- Vote Split by Case Subject
- Solicitor General Success Rate
- Justice Stevens' Dissents, Concurrences, and Justice Agreement
- OT09 Questions Presented and Results
- Visual Representation of Voting Lineups in 5-4 Cases [visual representations of all cases coming soon]
For all of the blog's statistics reports from OT95 onward, including our preliminary stats from OT09, please see our archives on SCOTUSwiki here.