The week ahead
Orders are expected this morning at 10. Opinions are expected tomorrow but not on Wednesday. The Court will also hear oral argument this week in the following cases:
Monday, March 22:
- Hamilton, Chapter 13 Trustee v. Lanning (08-998) "” the formula for how much a debtor has available to pay creditors who hold no security [Disclosure: Akin Gump and Howe & Russell represent the respondent.]
- Levin, Tax Commissioner of Ohio v. Commerce Energy, Inc. (09-223) "” lawsuits in federal court that could intrude on state tax systems
Tuesday, March 23:
- New Process Steel v. National Labor Relations Board (08-1457) "” the National Relations Board quorum
Wednesday, March 24:
- Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha v. Regal-Beloit Corporation; Union Pacific Railroad Company v. Regal-Beloit Corporation (08-1553; 08-1554) "” application of federal law to terms of shipment agreements between cargo carriers and their customers
- Magwood v. Culliver (09-198) "” successive habeas claims
The Justices meet this Friday for a private conference to consider petitions for certiorari and motions in pending cases.
Finally, reply briefs are due Thursday in Dolan v. United States (09-367); they are due Friday in Hardt v. Reliance Standard Life Insurance Co. (09-448), Rent-A-Center v. Jackson (09-497), Doe v. Reed (09-559), and Krupski v. Costa Crociere (09-337).