The week ahead
The Court is expected to release orders today at 10 a.m. and is expected to release opinions tomorrow. The following cases are also scheduled for oral argument (Health Care Service Corp. v. Pollitt (09-38), which was originally scheduled for oral argument on Wednesday, has been removed from the hearing list because the case was privately settled).
Monday, March 1:
- Berghuis v. Thompkins (08-1470) "” Miranda, police persuasion of an individual in custody
- Holland v. Florida (09-5327) "” extended time to file habeas plea due to defense lawyer’s negligence in capital case
- Skilling v. United States (08-1394) "” constitutionality and scope of “honest services” fraud law; effect of pre-trial publicity
Tuesday, March 2:
- McDonald v. City of Chicago (08-1521) "” incorporation of Second Amendment against the states
- Hui v. Castaneda (08-1529; 08-1547) "” "Bivens actions" against doctors and nurses in federal medical facilities over flaws in medical care claimed to violate patients' constitutional rights
Wednesday, March 3:
- Samantar v. Yousuf (08-1555) "” Alien Tort Statute
The Justices will hold a private conference on Friday.
The schedule of merits briefs due this week follows the jump.
Thursday, March 4:
- New Process Steel v. National Labor Relations Board (08-1457) – petitioner’s reply
Friday, March 5:
- Magwood v. Culliver (09-158) – petitioner’s reply
- Kiyemba v. Obama (08-1234) – petitioners’ reply
- City of Ontario v. Quon (08-1332) – respondents’ brief