The Week Ahead
On Monday, the Court will release the remaining orders from the Justices’ private conference last Friday. (The hearing list for the next two weeks can be found here.) Following the release of orders, the Court will hear argument in:
- United States v. Navajo Nation (07-1410)–federal government duty to protect Indian tribe's mineral rights
- Rivera v. Illinois (07-9995)- effect on conviction of erroneous denial of peremptory challenge to a juror
On Tuesday, the Court will hear argument in:
- Burlington Northern v. U.S. (07-1601) and Shell Oil v. U.S. (07-1607) "” liability for cleanup of toxic waste dump (cases consolidated for one-hour hearing)
- Carlsbad Technology v. HIF Bio, Inc. (07-1437) "” Circuit Court authority to review District Court order returning case to state courts
On Wednesday, the Court will hear argument in:
- Hawaii v. Office of Hawaiian Affairs (07-1372) "” authority of a state to sell state lands
- Flores-Figueroa v. U.S. (08-108) "” proof needed under federal identity theft law
On Friday, the Justices will hold a private conference, any grants from which could be announced that afternoon. To view our list of petitions to watch at Friday’s conference, click here.
Petitioner’s merits brief is due Wednesday in Forest Grove School District, Petitioner v. T. A. (08-305), Cuomo v. The Clearing House Ass'n, L.L.C. (08-453), Safford United School District #1 v. Redding (08-479), Nijhawan v. Mukasey (08-495), Bobby v. Bies (08-598), and U.S. ex rel. Eisenstein v. City of New York (08-660). Respondent’s merits brief is due Wednesday in Travelers Indemnity v. Bailey (08-295) and Common Law Settlement Counsel v. Bailey (08-307), Polar Tankers v. Valdez (08-310), and Gross v. FBL Financial Services, Inc. (08-441).